Mental health policy work
We work closely with Government, NHS, academic and voluntary sector partners to improve youth mental health policy and to develop the evidence base for the effectiveness of youth information, advice and counselling services (YIACS).
'Future in Mind', the landmark report of the Children and Young People's Mental Health & Wellbeing Taskforce published in 2015, proposed a key role for YIACS as part of every local youth mental health offer. Working with Government, our members and young people, our challenge now is to turn Future in Mind’s vision into reality.
Our current activities include:
- sitting on a number of important government mental health policy groups relating to CAMHS transformation and Children and Young People’s Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (CYP IAPT) programme;
- leading on mental health for The Young People’s Health Partnership, which acts as the voluntary youth sector Strategic Partner to the Department of Health, NHS England and Public Health England;
- playing a very active role in the Children and Young People’s Mental Health Coalition – our Director, Barbara Rayment, has completed stints as both Chair and vice-Chair of the Coalition;
- undertaking research into the outcomes of youth counselling services;
- leading the organisation of Mental Health ‘Takeover’ activities for the Department of Health.
Please see our current projects and publications